Tuesday, February 28, 2006

content with small means


The following quotation was in my morning's email, well part of it, in my "Word of the Day" mail that I signed up for with gratefulness.org. I thought I'd offer it here because it's appropriate to the subject of this blog and because of various synchronicities I feel: William Ellery Channing is a famous Unitarian and I am a UU, though not famous; and because my middle name is Channing and it's a family handmedown name and I've always wondered if I'm related to William Ellery in some way.
So you see I have this tenuous connection/genuine affection thing for him, and I'm pleased to share his words:

To live content with small means;
To seek elegance rather than luxury,
To be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not rich;
To study hard, think quietly, talk gently, act frankly;
To listen to stars and birds, to babes and sages, with an open heart;
To bear all cheerfully, do all bravely, await occasions, hurry never.
In a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious,
grow up through the commonplace.
This to be my symphony.

Dealing with Mom's apartment is going well and in a few minutes I'll be getting ready to spend most of today there. There are many thoughts I've been having as I do that task, thoughts that bear on the issues I deal with in regard to my own disorganization and clutter. I will have to process them a bit more, but I'm anxious to share them here because they will probably be very valuable to me personally as I seek to change. And hopefully sharing them will be of use to someone else working with the same sort of challenges.

1 Comments:

Blogger Forrest Proper said...

To seek elegance rather than luxury,
To be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not rich;
To study hard, think quietly, talk gently, act frankly;
To listen to stars and birds, to babes and sages, with an open heart


Zann- thank you. I need to remember this more, and too often do not.

Thanks for reminding me.

7:21 PM, March 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home